New 20 mph speed cameras to be rolled out across the UK

Home Restricted content Road Safety New 20 mph speed cameras to be rolled out across the UK

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Local councils have introduced 20 mph zones across the UK and installed speed cameras to monitor them. These zones are mostly in residential areas or busy pedestrian streets.

The 20 mph cameras have caught over 23,500 motorists going over the 20 mph speed limit across the UK. Sources online revealed that some cameras caught 1,100 drivers breaking the speed limit within the first 24 hours of their launch.

Despite having mixed reviews from the public, the 20 mph zones and their cameras have a number of benefits, including:

• Reducing road collisions
    • Potentially encouraging more pedestrians to walk or cycle as they could feel safer in a 20 mph zone
    • Lower emissions on these roads If people are more inclined to walk or cycle
    • Improving health and wellbeing
    • Improving the safety of streets

Supporters point to their effectiveness in reducing road casualties. According to The Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) 45% of pedestrians are killed when struck by a car going at 30 mph or less. This is reduced to only 5% when going at 20mph or less.

CLICK/TAP HERE to go to the full article on the confused.com website which includes information on:

• What are traffic cameras used for?
    • What are traffic light cameras?
    • Do all traffic lights have cameras?
    • What happens if I run a red light?
    • Why do we need speed cameras?
    • What’s the difference between a fixed and mobile speed camera?
    • What are the speed camera types in the UK?
    • Can I check if I’ve been caught speeding?
    • How do average speed cameras work?
    • Do mobile speed cameras flash?
    • Do average speed cameras flash?
    • Are speed camera detectors legal in the UK?
    • Are speed camera jammers legal?

• This topic was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by Colin MansellColin.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.